Re: systematics

Greg & Per,

I haven't replied earlier because I've been setting up 2 new computers at home. It seems that my 3 kids need the computer at the same time for school work! This has taken some time & I still haven't got 1 internet capable yet. Anyway back to your questions. Yes, there are DNA studies going on around the world on various apisto species/groups/complexes. I doubt that much will be reported for a few years yet, so we will have to be patient.

Regarding your question about the trifasciata-group, there are many questions that need to be answered here. We feel comfortable that there are at least two species in the group: A. trifasciata and the species known in the hobby as A. sp. Mamoré. There are questions about A. maciliensis. Based on the descriptions of Hasemann & Meinken, A. maciliensis seems to be different from A. trifasciata. The problem is that it doesn't quite conform with A. sp. Mamoré either. There are variations in forms of A. trifasciata or A. sp. Mamoré in the middle Rio Guaporé - in the area that is the type locality of A. maciliensis. So far no fish that conform exactly to A. maciliensis have been found in the area. Thus we have the question: Is A. maciliensis a valid species. If it is, is it the same as A. sp. Mamoré? Römer believes that it is. Kullander & others are not so certain.

With regards to the A. macmasteri vs. A. viejita question, it remains somewhat the same. Domestic strains of both species are most likely crosses of the 2 closely related species. Wild macmasteri rarely have a lyre tail or red top to the dorsal fin. The real A. viejita has entered the hobby in the past year and most experieced apistophiles can easily see differences in it, A. macmasteri, & what has been called "A. viejita" in the past. Then there are closely related forms (species?) like viejita Color Form II that are as different from A. viejita as viejita is from A. macmasteri. Right now many people consider viejita (CF I) & CF II the same species, but if they are, then they should be considered the same as A. macmasteri. More collecting is needed to understand this problem. Until then I will consider them all different from each other.

Mike Wise

Per Wigstal wrote:

Hi

I noted that you haven´t got any replies. I don´t have the answer to your question, but I think that your question is very interesting. Especially the big Trifasciata confusion is a matter to discuss further.

The Apisto world seems to have a lot of "enigmas". Resticulosa, Pulchra, Steelblue and the Trifasciata are some examples.

Best regards/ Per

Grzegorz Prusinowski <gprusinowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: Hi all,

I've heard roumors of some DNA research in Apistogramma
(could have sth to do with one Mike W. being on ACA...:-)
and some systematic revolution in trifasciata complex. could
anyone comment on it?
I have a few fish, that I am not sure what they are. Well,
Uwe Roemer calls them A. maciliensis and Mike Wise points at
"Mamore".
The other thing is A. macmasteri vs viejita (various
forms) - I must say not Mayland&Bork nor Roemer explained
the difference to me. I also searched the archive for this
but couldn't find answer, that would leave me without
doubts.
As the discussions happened some time ago, perhaps there are
some new facts to consider?

Thanks in advance

Greg
Grzegorz Prusinowski
www.apisto.pl

----------------------------------------------------------------------- -- This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com. For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help, email apisto-request@listbox.com. apisto-digest@listbox.com also available. Web archives at http://lists.thekrib.com/apisto Trading at http://blox.dropship.org/mailman/listinfo/apisto_trader

--------------------------------- Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger