Re: couple questions

you can also use a syringe filled with peroxide and inject it into the
specific areas.  antibiotics are usually helpful, but you might mess up
the good bacteria in your filter.  and as already mentioned, you can
turn off your lights for a day or 2 with little harm to your plants.

You also might want to check some of the aquatic plant forums for
information on nutrient imbalances so you have a solution to your
problem instead of just a quick fix.  HTH

Archie

>>> yalleau@coas.oregonstate.edu 5/6/2004 9:58:56 PM >>>
Hi All,

A friend of mine was offered a 55gal tank and asked me about a good
beginner's book. I've been keeping fish for the last 20 years but only
6 in
the US so I do not know of a good book to advise to him. Any
suggestions?

My 2nd question concerns cyanobacteria. I have some growing in two 75
gal
tanks. I let my tanks unattended while I was gone for 10 days and that
is
how they appeared. I am not for using products but despite weekly
removal
and bi-weekly water changes they are still in. I am careful about
feeding,
plant detritus monitoring... and therefore there is low OM in the
tank.
Erythromycin is supposed to do the job. Would someone know where I
could get
some (that is more than 10 tablets like what you find in stores) at a
reasonable price? Also, are there other products that can be used
(kanamycin, other.?).

Thanks all,

Have  a great week

Yvan Alleau

            Work

Oregon State University
450 SE Atwood Avenue

College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences/
Corvallis, OR 97333

Hatfield Marine Science Center
541-231-9544

2030 SE Marine Science Drive