Brian & his Dream Tank

{catching up on some correspondence that wasn't directed to the list but
seems sort of relevant}

On 8/16, Richard Sexton wrote:

RS> I saw you mentioned you knew Brian Wolinski. If I recall
RS> he's a friend of Ron Harlan's -- he mentioned him several
RS> times to me although I've never actually met him

Brian Wolinski does know Ron Harlan -- Brian went to Peru with Ron a few
years ago when they discovered A. norberti. Brian was a major force in
the Apisto world until he moved to Florida because of a job change. Now
he works all the time and hasn't yet set up any tanks. Hopefully he'll
return to the fold soon -- he's mentioned to me that he's designing a
dream tank. He is an encyclopedia of Apisto lore.

Ron is another encyclopedia of Apistos. I hope he'll set up a South
American collecting trip during the next year -- I'm ready to go again.

On 8/16, Richard Sexton wrote in reply:

RS> Cool, what's his dream tank about?

The last time I talked to Brian, he was thinking about a show tank for
his living room. He liked the look of the Eheim tanks, but since I know
he wants to grow plants I told him that I think the built-in lighting is
inadequate for anything other than low-light plants such as anubias, Java
fern and Java moss. I admire the look of the tanks, stands and integrated
equipment, though, and I particularly like the lid that stays up at any
angle when you open it.

He's amassing catalogs and brochures now -- lighting options such as high
output fluorescents, metal halide and even mercury vapor, substrate
heating, CO2 injection, filtration. We'll see what happens...

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net