Interbreeding

Erik Olson asks:

>Question for the group, as I'm very new to this: will nearby species
>of Apisto interbreed? Is there a chance we'll end up with an ugly cross?

Uwe Romer says that interbreeding is very unlikely. Female Apistos select
their mates and they are very particular that they match a specific
species (or sometimes regional) set of criteria. Patterns play a part. So
a female fish of a species in which males have distinctive markings in
one region will not ignore a male of the same species but without the
correct pattern.

On the other hand, A. agassizii, which has the broadest range of any
Apisto, occurs in many color variations but Romer says these will breed
with each other. He also says the fry will contain all the color
variations -- they are selected out of existence in different areas as
they grow older.

      If you want to respond to this message,
      send the response to apisto@aquaria.net
      so others can see it.

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net