Re: Please post to 'apisto' (rebuttal)

Pete Johnson wrote:

>When you reply to a message from this list, please direct your reply to
>apisto@aquaria.net, not to the person who posted the message. The mailing
>list server will make sure that your message gets to the person who
>posted the original, along with everyone else on the list.
>
>(Your email program will generally automatically reply to the originator
>of the message, since the list server that manages this group does not
>show up as the "from" address. So you have to manually change the "to"
>address on your reply.)
>
>This ensures that discussions take root here, rather than disappearing
>into private mail.
>
>Thanks.

Hey Pete,

I *like* it this way. One needs to *think* to change the address before
blatting personal replies across the whole list. I have accidentally blasted
the 250 or so members of the killies list with highly personal comments a few
times, and (red-faced) asked that it be changed to this way. To my amazement,
the vast bulk of those who responded preferred that the automatic response be
to the list. Brian, therefore, left it that way.

Since that time, the S/N of the killies list has been way, way down with a
rash of postings about $5 deals, when shipping, etc., plus a lot of griping
about it. When combined with total paralysis over *ever* editing subject
lines, following threads and sorting through the personal replies has become a
real nuisance.

The Betta list response function is arranged the same, but seems to have no
problem with the dumb kids, unlike the killies list. Of course it is (lightly)
moderated by the list owners.

If we are getting to a stable number of list members, maybe Richard should
check and see what most of the folks want. My guess is that *your* desired
"Reply to list unless directed otherwise" preference would prevail. I'll
happily do it your way by hand, for now, and (grudgingly) automatically, if
Richard changes the reply function to accomodate what most want.

Obligatory Apisto content:

The agassizii females are finally looking bright yellow and hiding in inverted
candle pots, after nearly being killed by pH shock when they moved from the
big tank. I hope to see a cloud of babies, any day now. [By the way, thanks
for passing on my discovery. Neat, isn't it?]

It'll be just my luck that the Nannacara anomolas will need growing space at
exactly the same time.

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley@ix.netcom.com