Re: A. panderini

Ray Cone writes:

>I'm still on my maiden voyage into "Apisto-land" and would appreciate
>some advice.  I have recently purchased three pair of A. Pandorini and
>can't seem to find descriptions of their habitat/water chemistry
>requirements in the literature.  Could you or someone on the list offer
>some wisdom on this along with suggestions for breeding set-ups?  Also,
>what is considered, "the book," for Apisto reference?  Thanks in advance
>for any and all friendly reply's.

A. panderini, also known as the Blue Sky Apisto, is a brand new import,
which is why you can't find information on it. It reportedly comes from a
similar habitat to A. nijsenni, which it somewhat resembles, so pretend
that it's A. nijsenni, which likes very soft, very acid (5.0 pH) water.

The best current standard English-language reference is Linke & Staeck's
American Cichlids 1 (Tetra Press). A new arrival with many more new
species is the Aqualog series, printed in Germany.

Where did you find your A. panderini? They're showing up now in Northern
California, shipped in as "A. nijsseni."

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net