Re: My Apistography

>Is A. cruzi in the hobby? What does it look like?

I haven't seen this fish. Linke & Staeck don't list it. Aqualog's South
America Cichlids II shows cruzi as fairly short bodied with a row of five
black spots along the lateral line and a bold spot at the base of the
caudal. No long lappets in the dorsal. First two spines of dorsal black
on males. Dorsal fairly even height, rising slightly in rear, rounded at
end. Male coloration grey-brown with yellowish stomach and blue
highlights on face and anal fin. Three parallel lines along the stomach.
Males 8 centimeters, females 5. Distribution Brazil, Colombia and Peru.

Except for the three stomach lines, it looks like a lot of other Apistos.

Even though we haven't seen cruzi, this has been an extraordinary year
for Apistos in this area. We've seen lots of Apisto species in local
stores, and they're still coming in! Here's a partial listing of our
visitors:

A. agassizi
A. bitaeniata
A. "brevis"      My friend David Soares says it couldn't
                 have been, but it looked like brevis. In
                 fact, my friend David Soares threatened
                 my life if I maintained that it was brevis,
                 but he isn't connected to the net. :-)
A. commbrae
A. gibbiceps
A. cacatuoides
A. macmasteri
A. moae
A. nijsseni
A. norberti
A. pertensis
A. resticulosa
A. sp. breitbinden
A. sp. panderini
A. sp. Rio Caura
A. sp. rotpunkt

I also think I saw A. steindachneri and there are probably at least a
couple of others that I've forgotten. It's been a great year!

It seems that there are about 100 different kinds of Apistos known so
far, not all of which have yet been classified. Two knowledgeable friends
think that scientists and collectors will find yet 100 more before
they're done...

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net