raising fry

Hi all (and Ken in particular),

Ken L. asked me if I usually left apisto eggs/fry with both sets of
parents, and the answer is yes (so far).  My steindachneri and
rotpunkt bred in small species tanks with dither/target fish included.
The rotpunkt male was a really good dad-he was yellowish to start
with, but after the fry became free swimming he turned almost as
yellow as she was and took his turn escorting the fry around the tank.

Mr. steindachneri could not have cared less.

My macmasteri bred in a 20 gal mixed species tank, and the male just
stayed away from the female for the most part.

The nijsseni were a great pair-they were in a 40 gal with a number of
other fish (Biotodoma sp., Dicrossus, splashing tetras, pencil fish).  I
started with 2 males and 2 females and waited to see who would pair up.
Once the  dominant male picked his gal I removed the other nijsseni
(not quickly enough in one case).  The female guarded the fry, while the
male would keep all the other fish out of the 3/4 of the tank that they
decided was theirs.  He would come over and display to the female now
and then, but no fighting.

My borelli spawned twice, and both times the female just stopped caring
for the fry-maybe this was an example of how the presence of the male
stressed the female?  I have heard of a number of cases where, after
spawning, all hell would break loose, so I try to keep an eye on things
and to be prepared to move fish if necessary (and if I hav'nt filled up that
spare tank already with something else-no self control).

I also tend to give the females a few tries at raising her eggs/fry.  Most
seem to improve over time.  Do people have good success rates hatching
out eggs themselves?

Advice is always appreciated!!

Lisa