Apisto. Nijsseni?

I found some Apisto Nijsseni in one of the local fish stores about 3
weeks ago.  They apparently had just come in, and at first glance, they
looked pretty poor.  The coloration was not as crisp as it should have
been, and in fact looked like some really badly inbred Nijsseni.  I was
back a week later, and looked them over again.  The guy I interact with
at the store came over, and we discussed these fish a bit more.  Turns
out they came right from a trans-shipper, which meant they were wild
caught fish!

We then looked them over more closely.  I was going to pass them by,
because they all had the central black blotch I expect to see on
females.  On closer examination, however, only about half of them had
the nice, black ventral fins.  The other half had the clear, yellow fins
you would expect from a male.  Further, the "males" central spots were
smaller, and round, whereas the "females" spots were more like blotches,
and in many cases, they extended from the center of the body down all
the way to the ventral area of the fish.

Both "sexes" displayed the red ring on the caudal, but these were
somewhat less vibrant than I have seen in Nijsseni before.  Also, these
bands seem to be a little farther from the edge fringe, the black outer
band is not intense, and the red ring is not round, but a bit oblong,
with just a slight pointy-ness if you will at the center of the caudal.

Also, the black stripe on the cheek is quite intense on these fish, and
the "females" in particular show some blackish coloration right behind
the pectoral fins that extends down to the bottom of the fish.  Of
course, all of these colors are variable with the fish's "emotional"
state, however, the black spot on the "male" does not ever quite go
away.  I bought a "pair" of these guys, and they are doing better for me
than I have ever done with Nijsseni before, and I still have them in tap
water (this is what they were in at the store).  No spawns yet, but I
don't expect much as they are in with some A. sp. 4-stripe, and really
can't set up a territory.  They do kind-of behave like a pair, thought,
with the "female" deferring somewhat to the "male"

Is this a version of Nijsseni, or is this some new species that is
closely related?