Re: A. agassizii availability

Richard wrote:

>At 09:09 AM 11/12/96 -1000, you wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Regarding shipping of dwarf cichlids, has anyone ever shipped cichlids
>>using the same method as for killifish.  I have received killis from the
>>East Caost all the way to Hawaii on a couple of occassions with no
>>casualties.  The fish were shipped priotiry mail at a cost of less than
>>$5.
>>
>>I will be looking to purchase some dwarfs early next year but I am a
>>little put off with shipping costs of $40.
>
>Cichlids aint killies. Their oxygen requirements are greater
>which requires larger bags and faster shipping. This
>costs more.

Most dwarf cichlids are no heavier breathers than equivalent-size killifish,
and the normal diffusion rate of oxygen through a proper bag (1.5 mil) is
quite enough to keep any of them alive, indefinitely, AFAIK. Thicker bags will
suffocate killies or any other kind of fish, just as quickly as Apistos.

The new Kordon breathables let you fill the bag with water completely, and
*still* they have no problem breathing. The trick is to get enough surface
area to assure enough diffused oxygen. If diffusion rate is high, you need
little surface area.

I use about 1/3 water to 2/3 air, and fairly small bags (4X18 and 6X18). One
fish per bag, unless they are really small fry.[That's killy style,
basically.]

As soft-water fish, Apistos are often far fussier about water conditions, than
many killies (e.g., almost no buffering). That means that a strict starvation
period before shipping must be practiced, so they don't die of their own
ammonia. Use a double dose of Amquel, or equivalent, too, to trap any residual
ammonia. A larger water volume is of secondary importance, if this is done
carefully.

You can double-bag in 1.5 mil bags, but never, ever use thick (freezer?) bags
or you *do* risk suffocating them. Large bags are hard to find in 1.5mil, but
tend to defeat the whole purpose of having larger bags if they are 2.5 mil or
more thick. Breakage also becomes a problem with larger thin bags.

Ship young fish. They are almost always more resilient and shock-resistant.
Mature fish rarely ship well, in any class or species.

That's *my* take on it, but I have done only a little shipping (mostly local
transfers) of Apistos and would like to get more information from those more
experienced than I. What say you? I may need to ship some young agassizii,
soon, so please head me off if I'm really way off base.

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley@ix.netcom.com