Re: Apisto. Nijsseni?

Thomas Mroz wrote:

> I found some Apisto Nijsseni in one of the local fish stores about 3
> weeks ago.  They apparently had just come in, and at first glance,

> Is this a version of Nijsseni, or is this some new species that is
> closely related?

Apistogramma Nissenji are difficult to sex until they are at least 3/4"
long.  I had a pair spawn three times, although I've never gotten a good
sex distribution of the offspring--only ever ended-up with lots of
females.  Although they were probably expensive, the best strategy for
spawning is to get 4-5 of them in 30+ gallons heavily planted due to the
fact that much like other Apistogrammas, they can tend to be polygamus
(not so much as others like a. cacatoides.)  This improves the liklihood
of the establishment of a male-female spawning pair.

Where'd you find them.  I've been fighting for 4 months to find any.
I'd like to get 3 females and 2 males.  I used to get them from Phillip
Pearson, an independent breeder in WV, but he has since closed up and
moved without forwarding address.

How large are your fish now and what are your tank conditions.
Suggested pH is 6.0 to 6.5 with peat filtration and ready supply of live
foods.  Provide several caves (the best I've ever had is a large,
twisted piece of the Madagascar driftwood with a hollow interior that
every Apisto I've owned has taken ownership of and tried laying eggs in.

Live caught is the only way I can find the suckers.  Anyone know of any
private breeders that they have phone numbers for.  Phil Pearson's were
awesome...but due to a CO2 accident, they went belly-up.

Dave