On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Francis Brian O'Carroll wrote:

> Can some one tell me what these A. P-N's are like? What species
> are they closest to? Common names are not likely to carry over
> to Tokyo.

Frank,

Thanks for the note.  This is what I know so far about the Puerto Narino's.

A. sp "Puerto-Narino" is believed to be a bridge species between the
regani and macmasteri groups (Wise unpublished 1997).  There are three
species listed as bridge species between these two groups.  The A sp
"Puerto-Narino",  A sp. "Rotpunkt" and A sp. "Schwarzsaum".
It is theorized that these three may be geographical color morphs of the
same species, but that is not certain yet.   I haven't seen Schwarsaum in
the literature lately but there is an article about them in Buntarsche
Bulletin #147, Dec. 1991 by Kurt Zadnick.  I actually thought I had A. sp
" Schwarzsaum" until Mike Wise identified them as P.N.

Originally we picked these fish up as contaminants.
I knew they were probably from the macmasteri group, but
there were features of the regani group, specifically eunotus, as well.
Their color
changed as they matured.  (juvenile pic put on the web by my husband at
www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/Fish/apistogramma.html, the male has
since lost the lateral line and has more blue throughout his body, he
looks quite spectacular now..will try to get a new pic up)

In spawning color (and a majority of the time) the male completely losses
his zig zag lateral line, and his body is blue with more pronounced
blue flecks thoughout.  He has yellow over his head and upper body
portions.  At times his entire operculum is blue with a remnant of a black
cheek band.  The anal fin is blue as well.  The ventral fins are long and
yellow tipped, with a black edge to the dorsal and anal fins.  The dorsal
fin appears to be developing an extension as well.  There is a faint
caudal spot and at times remants of transversal bars can be seen at the
bottom of the dorsal fin.

The female bright yellow orange with the lateral line broken up 3-5 black
spots.  There are blue flecks on the operculum, extending througout the
body.  The anal fin is yellow with blue flecks, and appears to have a
black edge as well (so does the dorsal).  There is a black spot at the
base of the pectoral fin in both the male and the females.

Well I hope this helps.  If anyone else out there has heard anything else
I would love to hear it.   They have turned out to be really cool fish,
but in the beginning I was sure razzed about bringing home this drab,
colorless fish.  That statement has since been retracted.

Good luck finding them in your neck of the woods!

Kathy