Re: new subscriber to the apisto mailing list

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Randy / Deb Carey wrote:

> As you can see, I have been obtaining my Apisto's through wild-caught
> imports.  Recently I got to visit an out-of-town wholesaler who let me
> buy through a friend.  Because I have studied fin shapes and patterns of
> the Apisto's, I was able to recognize such things as a tank marked
> "bitaeniata" having an additional species mixed in.  In that case I
> bought the remaining 16 fish and the "additional" species (11 of the 16)
> turned out to be the beautiful "gephra."  What a catch!
>
> My recent interest in Apistos has been in identifying them--needed when
> you deal with wild caught stock.  Too often, I've seen aquarists "pick
> out a name" for thier Apisto because it looks mostly like one in a
> picture--but they have never evaluated some of the key features which
> are useful in identification.  Shortly, I will begin work on writing an
> article and on developing a master identification chart based on visual
> characterisics.

Randy,

You have definitely picked up on one of my favorite hobbies.  Nothing
grabs my attention like a mislabed apisto.  I love picking up those stray
guys that come in as contaminants, unfortunately my limiting factor is
tank space.

I also felt that there was a need for an article of classification of
Apistogramma, using key features for identification.  When I first picked
up strays this was a challenge and so I went to the literature.  Not
finding any one source that answered all of my questions I kept asking
questions and collecting literature.

I just recently finished an article for our local aquarium society
(newsletter is Nortwest Aquaria Feb 97) and am sending it into PCCA as
well.  I was thinking about submitting it elsewhere but Mike Wise is
coming out with some incredible stuff this year and so decided that he
was definitely the expert here and would let him have that arena.  If you
would like a copy I can mail a copy of my article on to you or anyone
else that would like it (depending on numbers may need to do self
addressed stamped envelopes here).  I am curious what differences, or
comments you would add and am always open to constructive criticism and
compliments.
	In the article I wrote I went through several of the
published data...McMaster classified species into superdivisions based on
the four major river systems (Amazonian, Peruvian, Guaianan and
Paraguyan).  Some of the German sources listed almost every species as a
group.  Later this year Uwe Romer is suppose to be coming out with a book
in English which will cover the classification as well (per David
Soares, can't wait to read this).  As well as work by Mike Wise, Kullander
and Koslowski, David Soares (personal cummunication), Wayne Liebel,
a few others and personal experience.

I liked a combination of Mike Wise's, Kullander and Koslowski's work (as
well as a few others).
	What I wanted was a summary of what I could use to ID stray fish in
stores and teach others to do so as well.  It had been so hard for me to
find literature out there I wanted to share a workable application of
what I found with others.  So that is what I covered in my article.
It is basically the classification of Apistogramma based on key features
(that you can see and not do microscopic analysis on).  The schema I used
divided
the fish into groups with complexes as divisions of the above (vs the
germans who go with complexes and subcomplexes).  There were 10 species
groups and 14 complexes with additional bridging species.
(ie agassizii group characterized by a broad lateral band, dark head
stripes and a lateral spot.  Within this group there are three
complexes...agassizii, bitaeniata, and elizabethae...with key features of
each that would place a fish into each complex.  And so on for each group
and complex).  I kept the article short (3 8X11 pages), only hitting the
highlights.  I wanted it to be a workable copy that people could use,
Mike Wise goes into much more detail and theory in his article.

Some of the information I have is from the latest work done by Mike
Wise.  (I used his framework for the complexes and groups, the previous
work I had was 9 groups but that lit was now 7-10 years out of date
depending on which source I used)
Mike Wise is publishing 2 different articles this year...one on
"Distribution and proposed phylogeny on Apistogramma species and groups
revisited", this article has the latest work done, and is remarkable.
His other article is "Nominal list of Apistogramma species as of the
latest research done through November, 1996".  I look forward to both of
these articles, he has also done species maps by river system that are
incredible to see.  You can actually see how different Apisto species
evolved from one another.  Also great for identifing strays if you know
the river system they came from.   I think these will be included in the
last article but am not certain.

I would love to hear any additional information you have.  I am afraid I
don't speak German, and so haven't read any of their work that is not
translated, but learn as much as I can from people who do.  I always love
reading on this subject as well so if you can suggest any other sources,
let me know.

If I can get off from my residency training (in Internal Medicine) I will
be at ACA as well.  It is a great place to go and meet/talk to people.
Mike Wise may be going as well this year.  Last year I met several
incredible people...several on this list :) !!!  I am definitely looking
forward to it this year (I only wish Uwe Romer was going to be there again).

Love to trade fish if you're there, or with anyone else!
As well as talk.

Kathy

============ Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying =============