Re:Bloodworms

Tom Mroz wrote:

> I don't know about what exactly you are getting from Hong Kong, but you
<snip>
Neither do I <g>. They're not tubifex but after defrosting they don't
look much like the bloodworm I can collect in the wild, or what you
describe. Feeding mosquito larvae's the best way I know to induce
spawning. When collecting mozzies (too rarely) I can usually grab
bloodworm in the substrate. This is what has me concerned, the bloodworm
like to cover themselves with detritus even if they're attached to
rocks/sticks. I have no idea how they're raised/collected commercially.
They're so cheap It can't involve much processing.

> I have never heard of anyone having problems with fish being fed
> bloodworms, though one must still expect some risk as they are cultured in
Great to hear.
> Another risk with bloodworms that people must be aware of is that they can
> cause a serious allergic reaction in PEOPLE that are sensitive.  Bloodworms
> are the only thing I have ever come in contact with that I am allergic to,
<snip>
Lucky #@%*!, over the years I've become sensitised to plenty of
industrial chemicals. Working in the hazardous waste industry the last
few years hasn't helped <g>.
<chop>
> As for tubifex and/or blackworms - I never feed mine to anything but
> corydoras cats, which do not seem to be affected by any of the potential
> nasties that the worms can carry.
Corys must be tougher than I thought. Must buy some <g>.
I've read apisto's and cory's are a volatile mix -with the cory's ending
up floating. I've been too concerned by this to actually try. First hand
experience anyone?.
Toado.

----------- Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying -------------