Re: njisseni aggro

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, lisa wrischnik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Matthew says:
> >
> >As to your comparison of species, the A. njisseni are described as being of
> >the macmasteri complex and for certain the A. macmasteri that I have are
> >extremely timid.
>
> I thought the nijsseni complex was likely derived from the cacatuoides
> complex (Kathy, help me here! I can't remember my Aqualog flow chart,
> either).

Lisa,

You're right.  The classification schemes have undergone several
revisions recently.

In the 1980's the nijsseni were in their own complex and there was debate
about norberti being a bridging species between cacatuoides and nijsseni
complexes.

Now in the 1990's the latest is that the nijsseni are a group (or as the
Germans say...a subcomplex) in the cacatuoides complex.  (so they are a
subset of the cacatuoides complex)

I am not aware of any literature that places them in the macmasteri group
but perhaps this is an earlier classification than the 1980-present
literature that I have seen.

I really like the suggestion about the aggressiveness of this complex.  I
think it is a great idea, and will definitely collect any data on it that
I can find and do my own research.  Any one else out there have any
comparisions to make on the behavior of cacatuoides, nijsseni and norberti?

Kathy

----------- Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying -------------