Fwd: Re: Water Softener question

>again, you say you've bred A. nijsenni, which 'should' require very soft,
>acidic, low conductivity water, so....   You've also bred A. pandurini,
>which caught my eye: I managed to scoop a pair that were cantaminants in a
>shipment of nijsseni, and I wonder whether you would be so good as to give
>some breeding info.  The usual, such as water conditions, spawning
>behviour etc.

pairs and have lost males due to some strange condition that pandurinis seem to
be prone to.  I think it was Lisa Wrischnik (sorry about spelling) who told me
that Dave Soares said that when the pandurinis get the "locked open jaw" they
can't be saved.  I don't remember the specifics of that conversation, but I have
lost about 5 males to this condition.  The fish seems not to be able to close
their mouths, as though they had an extremely swollen tongue and the body
generally appears swollen--kind of like african cichlids when they get "bloat".
The fishes respiration rate seems to be increased.  If anybody knows of a cure,
please let me know.  I'm kind of leaning toward my feeling that the disease
appears bloat-like and will try medication for bloat the next time that I see
it.

Anyway--regarding breeding pandurinis,  I have kept them in 4 foot community
tanks and by themselves in 20 gallon tanks and have had spawnings.  I have had
one instance where the female actually guarded the free-swimming fry.  In other
instances, if I don't retrieve the eggs as soon as I spot them, they seem to be
eaten overnight.  When I steal the eggs, I have been able to get hatches, but
have had difficulty in raising the fry in any large quantity.  The dilemma is
that I believe that fry need to be contained in smaller containers so that food
is not scattered throughout a large tank.  The downside, is that extreme care is
needed to control mold, ammonia, general water quality in a small 1/2 gallon
container.  I have a little under ten fry which I have grown to a little under 1
inch.  The 1 female that is guarding a few 1/4'' fry is in currently in a twenty
gallon tank, her mate sucumbed to the disease that I described earlier.

I have found that getting the pandurini to breed is not difficult if I  use my
water softener water and try to keep the ph down to between 5 and 6.  I even
have a pair that laid eggs on the glass of a two-foot long tank twice because I
have not had time to offer them the traditional inverted 4-inch pot.

I have started keeping the pandurini in pairs, they seem to get along extremely
well together, even when there is just the single pair without dither fish and
other distractions.  Unlike many of the other cichlids I have kept in the past,
the male does not seem intent on killing the female, I have not observed any
aggression toward the females except when kept in trios, and the pair sometimes
drive off the odd female.  I started keeping them in pairs because I observed
that, even when kept in a four foot long tank, the male seems only to be
spawning with one female.

There was an earlier discussion in which the pandurini were described as being
somewhat aggressive.  My observation of the dominance of both Nijsenni and
pandurini, that they become the dominant dwarf cichlids when combined with a
number of other apistos, such as borelli, meinkeni (I'm not sure if I identified
these right), Nanacara taenia.  Both the Nijsenni and pandurini appear to be
pretty fearless in regard to people walking by their tanks.  In my mixed apisto
situations, I think that McMasteri-types and Agassizi are dominant or equal in
dominance to the pandurini.  I generally only mix apistos when identification is
not a problem, but I have found this to be not such a good practice because the
dominance of one species seems always to cause the sub-dominant species to not
eat well, not spawn, and die off (probably from continual stress).

Pandurinis seem to be always out in the open if they are healthy.  I put 4"
flower pots in the tank and invert them.  The small holes in the pot are opened
up a little bit with a small file or screwdriver.  I have found that most
apistos prefer the hole in the bottom (in the top when inverted) over a pot that
has the hold put in the side. A female that has laid eggs may be seen coming out
of the pot at feeding time, but seldom pays much attention the pot the rest of
the time.  Brian Wolinski used to like to use a fine (number 2 ) gravel because
he could see the gravel on top of the pot if the female was engaged in cleaning
activities prior to spawning.  The importance of finding out exactly when
spawning has taken place is because in my experience, most apistos are quite
inclined toward eating their eggs if they are not removed on the first or maybe
the second day.  I have had various apistos breed successfully and raise their
fry, but in most cases, they are in small tanks (5 to 20 gallons) that have
really become over-grown with Java Moss.  I suspect that the densely planted
tanks give the apisto a better chance of raising fry. I recall a lecture that I
attended at the Pacific Coast Cichlid Association that was given by Dr. Ron
Coleman on the topic of when a cichlid decides to eat their spawn vs when they
decide to raise the fry.  The gist of the  lecture was--if there are enough eggs
to warrant the effort, and the conditions were conducive to risk of life and of
energy required to raise a brood, then the eggs were less likely to be eaten
(makes sense from an evolution perspective).  Sorry about the long-windedness,
but I sometimes get carried away.