A.viejita vs. mcmasteri

I've suffered the same dilema about identifying Viejita from McMasteri.  I've
been told, and I think I recall reading from the Link and Staek bible, that
McMasteri grow considerably larger than Viejita. I once had a male McMasteri
that approached 4 inches in total length.
I usually buy a group and grow them to see if they are McMasteri.

 If you have access to the Pacific Coast Cichlid Association's bimonthly
publication, the Cichlidae Communique, the is a great article written by Hal
Makin describing A. Viejita vs A. McMasteri. I'm not sure what issue the article
was in, but it the title was something like "A Totem Animal".  Maybe someone
else out there has that information.