Blackworms -- Re: Food & Vitamins

Ed Pon wrote:

> Does anybody out there have any advice on feeding apistos?  (SNIP)
>   The writer claimed that many of the difficult to breed
> fish will breed if given the proper nutrition.  (SNIP)

I have incredible results with a feeding of black worms followed by a 70+% water change (of pure r/o).
Most of my Apisto's spawns occur after the black worm feeding or the water change, but particularly right
after both.  From my experiences, no other food yields the same high spawning results that I get with
black worms.

I know a lot of people don't like feeding black worms, but I can't attribute any diseases or other
problems from them (unless they have been frozen).  Even if I did lose a fish from time to time due to
black worms, I come way out ahead considering how many broods I have gotten right after a feeding.

I will add one bad experience with black worms:  Once all my worms were accidently frozen in my mini
refrigerator.  I fed a portion of the worms to my fish the same way I serve frozen blood worms. Within a
couple of days almost all cichlids receiving the previously frozen worms died.  I assume that black worms
cannot be frozen as can bloodworms and brine shrimp.

- -- Randy Carey
carey@spacestar.net