Fwd: RE: Re: Mysterious post-spawning disease

><snip>I noticed the problem in pandurinis that were wild-caught.
>
>Was the problem you noticed dropsy, or was it the
>death-without-physical-aberation problem I discussed yesterday.
I didn't realize the death-without-physical-aberation problem was
different than what we have been talking about and referred to as
dropsy.  I never saw any of the scales start popping out like a
porcupine on any of the dead fish.  The fish started with listlessness,
gaping mouth, breathing hard, and died, in about two to five days.
Most, I don't totally recall if all, of the fish that died were male and
had spawned recently.

> Tubifex/blackworms are routinely discussed as bad for many fish - I do
not
>feed them to anything but corydoras and occasionally, killifish
(without
>incident).

As a former Tanganyikan cichlid aficianado,  I kept, usually for a short
time, Tropheus Moori species.  These fishs were notorious for getting
bloat.  Feeding tubifex was the kiss-of-death for them.  In reading
through Brichard's first book on Tanganyikan cichlids, and noting the
length of the intestinal tracts of various Tanganyikan cichlids that
Brichard listed in the descriptions,  there seemed to be a correlation
between length of the intestinal tract, carnivorous versus herbivorous
diets, and susceptibility to bloat.  The fish with intestinal lengths
that exceeded the length of the fish generally had a large amount of
vegetable matter in their natural diets and died at the sight of tubifex
or black worms.  The Lamprogines had short intestinal tract lengths,
less than 100% of the total length of the fish, and were impervious to
any amount of tubifex fed to them.

><snip> I am growing a small quantity of pandurini babies and am waiting
>see if this mysterious disease will catch up with them.
>
>How big are the babies right now?  Let us know if you have problems
later -
>I saw my problem when they reached 3/4 - 1" and were just beginning to
>clearly sex out.
>
>Tom

Tne baby pandurinis are at about 3/4 to 1".  I think I count about seven
of them.  I think I started with 9 or 10, but I have not really watched
them to see if any have died, and what are the circumstances.  I need to
move them to a tank where I can watch them a little better.