Fwd: pingu guppies -Reply -Reply

>>Cichlids in general are cautious and many do not  display
themselves unless there are other "dumber" fish which may
present themselves as the first target of a predator-<<

So intelligence is another category!  :-)

I would suspect that *pulling* the apisto out into the open to
make it more observable would be the first objective.  Filling
additional strata for aesthetic purposes would be secondary.
Tetras seem to be a common choice followed by danios and
then guppies (pure anecdotal assumptions here).

But if we revisit the purpose or definition of a dither fish, some
of those may not be optimal choices, at least for apistos.
Tetras, for example, occure naturally in most cichlid habitats,
they're inexpensive and don't bother the lower strata fish for
the most part.

But is a tetra an ideal dither fish?  What about a dwarf
gorami?  Or guppies?  Or maybe different dwarf cichlids?  Are
they better or worse?  But rather than having me going on and
on and on....  What different dither fish have people used and
what were the results?
Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL USA
william_vannerson@ama-assn.org