pH and hardness

As all dwarf cichlid breeders know, these are the two key issues in water
conditions, and the easiest to obtain and maintain.  But exactly what pH and
hardness levels are we looking for with our favorite genus (Apistogramma).
 Are there differences from species to species?  I'm working with A.
cucatoides, and this subject has come to mind because I was negligent in
maintaining my pH in the acid range and my babes quit spawning (imagine
that!).  But how far into the acid range do I want to be?  How do the
parameters (or the parameter range) change as I drift from species to
species.  Is there a book that covers this well?  Or do all species require
the same parameter range?  Perhaps we can get a massive feedback of mailing
list members, a kind of informal survey of what works.  Or maybe one of the
"professional" icthyologists on the list can give us a comprehensive guide.
    It would also be interesting to see native water readings from guys like
Heiko Bleher, Uwe Romer, et al. for the species in question.  How can we
obtain this data?  Someone out there ought to be able to tell us how to find
this stuff.  I would be more than happy to do the accumulation work.  Maybe
it can give me a good excuse to learn how to use my spreadsheet program to
chart this stuff and make it available somehow.
    Okay, gang- give me some feedback.
Bob Dixon
idmiamibob@aol.com