Response to Matthew.

Perhaps I am overstating my viewpoint.  I am not aying that all fish of the
group we generally lump together as algae eaters are viscious killers.  Only
that I have had some problems with one kind and choose not to run the risk,
however minimal, with another kind.
I am choosing (and by the way have found) some Venezualan Ramshorms,
precisely because their numbers are easily controlled.  They reproduce very
slowly, when compared to pond snails, corkscrew snails, or even well fed
apple snails.  And unlike Colombian Ramshorns, they don't get big enough to
threaten my aquatic plants.  I think this is the best balance I can get.  I
am using 12-13 hgours of light per day, which is what plants get in the wild.
 Any less, and I don't think my plants would do as well.  I am also looking
for a way to control phosphates, but have not found a suitable answer (high
phosphate levels contribute as much or more to excess algae growth than too
much light).

Gumby disagrees with what I consider a thought out and measured approach.  I
don't know why he can't just live with that.

Bob