factors relating to growth

Tom Mroz wrote:

> Any/All:
>
> What are your opinions on other variables (Other than food "quality")
> related to fry growth and what are their priorities?
>
> Water chemistry (pH and hardness)
> Water cleanliness (frequency and amounts of water changes)
> Water temperature
> Number and type of feeding schedule (many small vs. a few large per day)
> Artificial vs. natural hatching
> Keep with adults/without adults
> Lighting schedule
> Other?

I seem to have better luck with growth if the fry remain in the tank of the
parents (gravel, plants) than if I transport them to a bare tank of the same
gallonage.  Perhaps it is the parenting, but it could also be the availability of
small food in a gravel-based and planted  tank.  Another possibility is the
bacteria action in the non-bare tank.  Do the bacteria remove some hormones or
toxins which can build up in the bare tank?  I'd add this variable as something
to be investigated.

I have occaisionally noticed problems with growth in either set up after the fish
reach a certain size.  Perhaps I'm just underestimating the amount of additional
food 1/2 fry need compared to 1/4 inch fry.  After all, doubling length probably
quadruples body mass.

- --Randy