Fwd: Apisto environments

Francis wrote:
>I'm thinking back to my collections in the Rio Orosa in Peru
>of A. agassizii, bitaeniata, eunotus, cacatuoides; and
Apistogrammoides.
>and I guess the only 3 habits I can remember are
>
>	* quiet, shady, blackwater streams
>	* mud puddles (perhaps dried up versions of the above)
>	* lake edges (these tend to be sunny, and muddier)
>
>What other types of apisto habitat are there? Perhaps we should make a
>list.
>
>Frank O'Carroll
>Tokyo
It sounds like a very useful endeavor.  In talking to Uwe Romer when he
lectured in San Francisco, I sensed he was somewhat adamant about the
variability of the conditions under which apistos live.  If an organism
is not adaptable to temperature changes, ph changes, and other factors,
it is unlikely that any area of the world is stable enough for the
species to have survived to today.

In reading books, we seldom get the sense that there is very much
variation in temperature of some of our tropical fish--i.e. keep at 78
to 80 degrees in soft, acid water is sort of typical of advice we are
given on raising apistos.  There are certain killifish that will not
breed unless subjected to cold spells of about 40F degrees for at least
a certain amount of time.  Cory catfish can be stimulated to spawn by
dropping the temperature, simulating raining.  While none of the apistos
thus far seem unbreedable in captivity, some of them are a little more
difficult to spawn than others.

The information available to us is very limited on what are the ranges
of temperature and ph apistos are generally subjected to in their
natural habitat, as well as the type of habitat that each species is
normally found in abundance in.