Apisto environments

Dear Frank,

First of all, my greetings to Apisto fanciers in Japan!
Are you living in Tokyo, or just visiting?

Now, to your question: "ŠWhich apistos in your experience *like* sunny
open areas with warm water?"

Frank, I've collected Apistogramma species extensivelly through Brazil
since 1989, and have found dwarf cichlids in a variety of biotopes,
some really in sunny open areas with warm water.
For example, I would like to call your attention to big whitewater
lakes riverside of Rio Amazonas, near the conjunction with Rio
Tapajos. I have collected in three or four of these lakes, in the
vicinity of Alenquer, and normally those lakes shelter a good variety
of dwarf cichlids. At Lago Paracari, for example, I've found Laetacara
sp. living in the shallowest water (and so warmer). Going a bit foward
on same lake, you find A. geisleri (= 'emerald') and A. agassizii.
Preferring the cooler water in the shores (I mean the areas closer to
the bottom) you find Taeniacara candidi. So you find four different
DCs species living in open sunny areas, but in different ranges of
temperature.
In Lago Jacunda, another lake, but on the opposite shore of Rio
Amazonas, you find Dicrossus maculatus and Apistogramma cf. pertensis
(note that I used 'cf.' because I believe the fish is pertensis, but
it needs more exact scientific determination) sharing the same
biotope.

Normally species of the A. regani-group (ex: A. caetei, A. piauiensis,
A. sp. 'Amapa', A. inconspicua, A. geisleri, A. resticulosa, etc.) are
commonly found in sunny open areas.

But if you look in blackwater rivers, there are species living
exclusively in the shaddy forest, like A. pulchra (Rio Madeira
blackwater tributaries), A. paucisquamis (at Rio Negro), etc. Those
fishes are normally more shy in aquarium, and don't like much water.
Blackwater Apistogramma, specially those ones from Rio Negro, are more
difficult to be bred in water with pH higher than 5.0. I had bad
experiences of losing many eggs of species like A. elizabethae  and A.
brevis with water when it is not very acid (4.0-4.5) and soft.
A. pulchra, in spite of beeing a blackwater species too, can be bred
in water with pH above 5.0, but with less productivity.

All the best, Marco.