Re: Under ground filter or not?

At 09:37 AM 10/28/97 -0330, Robert Marshall wrote:
>Should I install an under ground filter.  Lots of opinions about no but
>no reasons why. Leaning towards get one so tell me your experiences.
>yes or no.  If no what filters should I use in addition to my Fluval 4 -
>
>tank is a 50 gal.  Sand, which I like, or gravel.  If I don't use a UGF
>am going to insert a layer of peat moss.

To use or not to use really depends on what you want to accomplish and what
species you are planning on keeping in your tank.

Darren and I have a business breeding fish for the wholesale outlets. In our
rearing and breeding tanks we only use Hydro sponges. This way the fry can
get all the food off the bottom. we also use Ramshorn snails for the extra
cleanup. (Very easy to control.) With the breeders tanks it's the same
setup. Mainly for the corys to get the live tubifex worms we feed them.

I'm slowly switching all our community tanks from UGF's, except for Darren's
plant tank which NEVER had a UGF, over to Hydro sponges. For us it is less
upkeep since we're constantly scooping out fish for one reason or other.
Most of the community tanks house various breeding stock that I'm not
working with at the moment.

If the tank I was setting up was for display I would use the UGF. Only
because it does keep a tank quite clear but can also cause a lot of bacteria
without proper maintenance which leads to diseases of the fish. Another
problem with the UGF for us is in our 55 grow out tanks, the quantity of
fish being housed and the small size of the fry makes it difficult to
maintain the UGF due to the inability to clean the gravel when the fry are
small. Hence, a lot of losses.

In the community tanks that I have the Hydro sponges, I also use a thin
layer (1/2") of fine sand.

Out of curiosity, why would you add a layer of peat moss?

Kaycy