Re: water question

Frauley/Elson wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I've been pondering a water question, and I thought maybe Wright or
> another list member with water chemistry knowledge could help.

Naah! I believe all the old myths about mysterious alelochemicals, etc.
that will stunt growth and all. :^)

snip...

(Gary asked about water change with soft not available)

> It seemed a shame to harden it before moving apistos into it. Would
> such a small closed system, with lots of plants and one smallish fish
> (alone for 2 weeks) to 'feed' the filtration have been able to bounce
> back, on the short term of course, from its fully stocked level of
> pollution? Or would it 'stabilize' at an unacceptable level of
> pollution?

Actually, it's a good question and I don't really know the answer. I
usually assume that heavily-planted and lightly-stocked tanks are good
for maintenance forever, without water changes, but can't prove it. For
breeding, I wouldn't do it. Good biofiltration *can* do remarkable
clean-up, tho.

Wright

- --
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679 huntley@ix.netcom.com