dark Sand Substrates

I just got back from a week-long trip, so pardon me for posting a
response well after this issue came up.

I have been able to purchase a pitch-black substrate called "Black
Beauty."  It is a sand blasting material which is inert and comes in
various fine grades.  The coarsest grade is almost too fine for my
Python unit.  I once picked up a grade which is as fine a sand.  I have
noticed that some fish (e.g., Bleeding Hearts) turn  noticeably darker
when kept over a black substrate.

So if you want black sand, look in the yellow pages for sand blasting
supplies and ask about ""Black Beauty."  I paid $12 for a 100 pound
bag.  Remember, the finer the grade, the harder it is to clean of its
dust.

- --Randy