Re: Plastic toxin in tank

Robert Marshall wrote:

> Maladorno, Dionigi wrote:
>
> > Use activated carbon in the filter
> >
> > Dionigi
> >

> yes I have been using ZeoCarb in my fluval 4 but will be switching to
> just carbon.

The better solution is to avoid softer or flexible plastics wherever
possible. "Plasticizers" are chemicals (often soluble) added to a
polymer to make it more flexible and tougher. Hard rigid "plastic," (is
that an oxymoron, or what?) like acrylic and polycarbonate clear sheet
are usually pretty free of plasticizers.

Carbon filtering will do a pretty good job, but it also sucks up any
chelates that may be carrying necessary iron and trace metals for your
plants.

BTW "Tygon"-type tubing is prohibited in most hospital use for this
reason. Silicone tubing is used instead, to avoid the plasticizers.
Almost all aquarium airline is of the former type. :-)

Fortunately, most plasticizers that can easily be released are a bit
smelly, due to volatile components. When in doubt, use your nose.

Boil and pre-soak to remove the worst of them.

Don't use plastic plants unless you also use a carbon filter. :^)

BTW, plasticizers generally are *not* toxins. Read the definition of
toxic, rather than accept the news-scare versions of the word usage.
Doesn't mean they can't do subtle harm, tho.

"Tupperware" and similar food-use plastics *should* be quite safe.

Wright

- --
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679 huntley@ix.netcom.com
"Subvert the dominant paradigm!"