Fwd: Re: pseudocrenilabrus

Bob Dixon said:
>Ed-
>Isn't that a bit extreme?  I know if I were a fish, that would leave me
>emotionally scarred for life.  It has been my experience, however
limited,
>with Pseudocrenilabrus, that the female will release fry into the tank
>whenever she thinks she is about to be eaten.  That may be scary
enough, but
>it is a xhort-lived experience compared to the baster.  I suppose if
you
>could trick her into the baster, then put the bulb on, it might not be
so
>bad.  But physically, it would still seem to me to be kinda rough on a
fish
>that is already weakened from a lengthy period of fasting.
>Just my own opinion-
>Bob

Bob--The best suggestion, if the goal were to get as much fry as
possible, is to move the female to a separate tank until she is ready to
release.  The turkey baster method is actually pretty fast. I have heard
stories of people trying various methods of stripping mouth
brooders--many of which sounds much worse than the turkey baster method.
Some people use their thumbnails to pry the mouths open.  Some use the
point from a pencil to open the mouths. Some hold the fish in their
hands and try to dunk the fish's head in and out of a bowl of water. The
relative size of the human hand to a two-inch female pseudocrenilabrus
makes these other method prone toward damaging the female's mouth.

Many of the mouth-brooders will hold their fry as long as almost a
month, making them severely emaciatiated.  Some literature actually
advocates stripping the females for this reason alone.  If tank space
were limited, in all likelihood the brooding female will eat little or
nothing and she is usually chased and harassed by her tank mates (most
often a male that wants to breed).  In a tank by herself, the female in
many mouth-brooders will eat small pieces of food while brooding.  When
the fry have formed, the female will release the fry to do some foraging
and then she can also get a bite as well.  If there are other fish in
the tank, the female is less likely to allow the fry to leave her mouth
to forage naturally.

  I'm not an advocate of stripping mouth-brooders, but the fish I
usually deal with are somewhat precious  and the stripping allows the
female to recover earlier from a "pregnancy" and start to produce more
fry.  The fry, being also precious, is removed from the "community" tank
to a safer place for them.  People who are serious about reproducing
mouth-brooders will usually keep them in groups as opposed to pairs, and
the non-brooding fish are a danger to fry growing in the tank.