Re: Apisto ID

Randy or Deb Carey wrote:

> Since I'm skeptical that the commercial industry will reliably
> cooperater, I lean toward a hobbyist effort.
>
> Under this scheme, if I buy a bag of Apisto's without the code, I know
> that their identity have not yet been made by the Apisto circle.  I
> would then id them and attach the correct code as I distribute them.  If
> I do see the code, I know they had been id'ed by someone using the
> standards (and could learn who identified them in some previous
> generation).  This scheme would also allow hobbists to know if a newly
> offered batch of Apisto's ultimately come from the same source.

Trust me, this is my last shot at this thread. You may have noticed that
my little effort to tag a form of cacatuoides came from the fact that
the morph in question was a beauty, fin-wise. I've never bothered to try
such a thing with other apistos. Even with killies, where there is a
'feeling' this is generally good, it breaks down. In our fish club,
auctioned killies (except for a few from AKA/CKA people) NEVER have
their tags. I've seen lots submitted as killi- australi for Aphyosemion
australe. I've seen petshop apistos as A borelli, when they were
mcmasteri.
Clearly, if we're on a list, we care what we keep. We'd be the ones
doing this, when we exchange with each other. That's all I'm suggesting.
The pet stores are still selling Apisto reitzigi. If I have a wild aga
tagged as BREW 24, I'd like to try to find its mate from its population
before I cross it with a German double-red. That's all I suggest. But
I'm not going to ever find a BREW in a petshop.
	I agree with Wright about killies and apistos, and I'd like to see such
an approach adopted across the hobby, but for now, I'd like to see us
start small. Hey, I'm in Canada. I can't send most of you lot fish
anyway!
- -Gary (retreating into silence and snow to ponder his upside down
globe..)