Fwd: Re: panduro vs.

>Uwe Romer recently described A. panduro in the last issue of the BB.
This
>has pissed off some ichtyologist but that's a different story. Males A.
>panduro are easily distiguished from A. nijjseni by the prescence of a
>black triangle that goes from the back insertion of the anal fin,
through
>the caudal peduncle, and almost to the red margin of the caudal fin

I have read in the postings several times the part about the "triangle"
not showing in the "pandurini/panduro".  I have observed in store tanks
and my own tanks that the appearance of the "triangle" may be related to
the ph.  I have seen a whole tankfull of pandurinis where the fish all
appeared to be males until they were moved to a tank with lower ph. In
other situations, I have seen where a tankful of pandurinis where many
of them did not display the "triangle" and it appeared to be because the
ph was somewhere between 6.5 and 7.0.  One of the stores that I
regularly frequent will not adjust the ph of their water lower than
6.5--this appears to keep most of his low ph fish alive.