Fwd: RE: Re: panduro vs.

Tom Mroz said:

>I've been trying to determine how to describe other differences that
>exist.  I am certain I could separate male pandurinis from male
nijsseni
>in a mixed tank with good accuracy, but I can't tell you exactly what
>attributes would be the indicators.  Kind of like telling the
difference
>between Coke and Pepsi.  I'll take that challenge any day with a good
>chunk of cash at stake, but I could'nt explain the difference to you in
>words.  In my experience, the fish are similar looking, though clearly
>distinct.
>
>Tom
I haven't heard anyone comment on  the differences on female pandurini
vs. nijseni (can never spell that).  The differences in the females are
much easier to spot than in the males.  Female nijseni have a large spot
in the caudal peduncle.  Female pandurinis have a thin oval spot over
the central body spot--almost like a key hole.  The bottom of the oval
spot runs into a huge spot that covers the under-side of the fish.  It
looks almost like an upside down saddle on the fish.  In addition, I
have seen some females have the big bottom spot/saddle extend into the
throat area.   Thanks to Lisa Wrischnik who helped helped me figure
which are female pandurinis from a mixed tank of apistos the first time
I saw them at a local store.  I thought this might be useful, since
females will often pick the "right" males when given the choice.