Re: Pandy vs nijsseni

Mike,

Thanks for the info, I have a couple of things to add after
looking over some old photographs of A.nijsseni which I
hope may help.

> Caudal Peduncle......nijsseni has no spot and the panduro has a triangle
> when it is settled and comfortable in the tank.

Male A.nijsseni do have a spot (round) on the caudal
penduncle, it seems to be more visible on younger specimens
though

> Female........nijsseni...lateral spot is large and splotch-like and has
> a cheek splotch as well.  Panduro has a lateral spot that is not
> terribly large, compared to a nijsseni......panduro female has a cheek
> stripe that is definatly not a splotch.

Female nijsseni have a distinct black spot on the caudal
peduncle.  The photograph on Erik Olson's page of the
female panduro does not show a spot.  What a beautiful fish
that is.

Another feature of panduro is the extensive area of black
along the underside of the body between the head and the
middle of the body.

> I thought there was a mistake.....no "black
> triangles"........3 days later I was there and they were calmed down and
> the black triangle on the males was OBVIOUS!

My friend has a pair of panduro, I'll check out that
triangular spot.

Ken.