Re: New tank setup, which spec. do match

Hithere..

You probably picked a hot one as there are many different opinions on this one...  I have been using ugf's for about 10-years and swear by them...  I use other filtration as well, but I very much believe in the benefits of a ugf.. For about 4-Months now I have switched my 100-gal tank over to reverse-flow UGF's, and this is even better than I had hoped.. My plant growth is better, and my Cichlids have been breeding like crazy.. I have Convict's (which breed like mice anyway) and 3 adult (2-fm 1-m)  Labidochromis.. Along with the usual assortment of pleco's and 5 CAE to keep everything spiffy.. Oh and a Scat.. The Scat is real cool and is growing quite big, and the king of the tank.. My Albino Oscar..  (My buddy,.. Eats the meal-worms right out of your hand..) ( Pretty cool)... Got to teach it to balance a ball and all that.. Maybe juggle.. :0

Since setting up the RF-UGF's my Labidochromis have finally had fry.. That was pretty neat, and the whole tank seems much more happy...  (Water is always crystal clear as well..)

I have a Peguin400 w 2-bio-wheels to go along with my set-up..  When there aren't alot of fish in the tank I go with a 50% water change once a Month.. And thats it...  If the fish load gets heavier, then I go with a 25% water change in two weeks and the 50% every 4-weeks.. Never had a problem with Nitrates, Nitrites or ammonia.. ( that is after the tank settled in..] PH-8.2 Temp-80.. and very hard water.. Cichlid salt about 1-tbl per 4-gal ... Amazon Sword, Wisteria and Cryptocoryne balansae are the plants currently in the tankk All grow rather nicely except for the Wisteria which has a total melt down every 3-4 Months and then comes back..  (Don't know why that happens... Maybe the salt?..

I plan to go with the same type of filtering of RF-UGF when I put in my 400gal tank in the porch in the spring..

Ken

- --] Man blames fate for other accidents...<italic>But</italic>  feels
personally responsible when he makes a hole in one...

- --] All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand

- -----<italic>breezy@early.com</italic>----