White Silica Sand

I am new to the list and to keeping Apistos. I would like to know from
experienced Apisto keepers and breeders if white silica sand is suitable for
use in a planted community tank and also in Apisto breeding tanks.I have 2
pairs of A. Borelli in a 15 gal planted tank with natural aquarium gravel. I
also have a 33 gal bare bottom with Amazon swords in clay pots with gravel
only in the pots.This is a temporary setup with a pair of rams and a couple
of SAE to help keep the bottom clean. I also have a couple of other tanks
cycling ( no gravel ) waiting for decisions to be made regarding substrate
and occupants.

The LFS told me that white silica sand will cause Diatom algae and is too
sharp for any bottom feeders-ie- SAE, Loaches etc. Would like to here
comments from list members.
Could you also advise me if the food I am feeding at the moment is OK for
the Apistos and Rams:Tetra Spirulina Flakes, Hikari Micro Pellets, and
frozen blood worms.I feed them 3 times a day with the above food.
TIA
Leo Reinhard
rein@better.net
Pickering Ontario Canada