Re: cactuoides fry

On 2 Jan 1998  Michael W McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, George Barwood wrote:
> >At some point I plan to move some or all of them from the 10 gall. they are in to a
> >35 gall. which currently has 3 adult male blue rams, their father, Zebra Danios,
> >Harlequins and Corydoras in it (I only have two tanks). The tank is planted, but there
> >isn't a lot of good cover.
>> How large/old will the A. cacatuoides fry need to be to have a reasonable chance of
> > surviving? (The father could be moved back to the 10 gall. if that helps)

> I'm not sure here. I bought a 20g long tank to raise mine in. You could
> try moving a few, half dozen or so, into the tank and see what happens.

I have now moved 6 of the young cacatuoides (aged 5 weeks, about 15mm max) into the
larger tank. They seem to be surviving quite OK (after 48 hours).  I improved the cover,
there is now some java moss and cabomba.

Their father is taking quite an interest, I'm not sure if he wants to eat them or protect
them from the rams. Initially he did 3 slow turns round a stem plant with one of the baby
fish. He chases the rams away if they get close, but maybe he is thinking "if anyone is
going to eat them it's going to be me" :)

The corydoras are not interested, but are a bit of a hazard when alarmed - they zoom
through like an express train. Once or twice the zebra danios chased a baby fish, but I
think they just like chasing, I don't think there was evil intent.

All in all it has been interesting watching how the young cacatuoides keep themselves out
of harms way. My only worry is whether they will find enough suitable food - I don't feel
like feeding freshly hatched baby brine in the large tank - I think the adult fish would
probably get most of them. I'm feeding various frozen foods, plus tetra min 'baby fish
food'.

George [ I hope this is of interest to list subscribers ]
Gloucester, UK