Re: A. cruzi?

Lilia Stepanova wrote:

> Recently I got a pair of A.cruzi. I can not find any specific information
> on keeping them. The only thing I found is what they belong to A.regini
> (sp?) group. And sales person (very good one) said they are "hardy". So
> far, it looks like they do not like a lot of light - coming out mostly in
> the dim light (then the lights in the room are on, but tank's are off) -
> is it because they are new (a week) in here or this is their normal
> behavior, and if it is so what should I do with plants?
>
> What are the best conditions for keeping and breeding A.cruzi?

I recently obtained "cf. cruzi" as shown in the Aqualog.  It looks different than
the regular "cruzi," but mostly by its coloration, not finnage.  We could have
the same species, or we could have similar species.

My importer said the ones I got came from "a mix" with pH at 6.5.  I'm assuming
this mix means not the very soft black water.  I'd guess a gH of 4 degrees would
be fine.

Mine are active and not shy or light-hindered as you described yours.  Yet I've
had no signs of spawning with one male and two females.  The male is the only one
to claim a cave.  A friend of mine also got some from the same order and he
reported a spawn.  I believe the pH was in the mid 6's.

> Why they are not so popular - do they have some negative trait what makes
> them undesirable?

They are simply uncommon imports.  I believe they come from only one general
collection area, and not one of the more common ones.

The regular "cruzi" are somewhat bland, but the "cf. cruzi" are certainly
attractive enough to be desireable.  I would imagine that most people on this
list would like to own at least a pair of them.

- --Randy