Fwd: Re: White Worms

kirkcj wrote:
>Hello:
>	I am trying to sex my oscars.  I have heard that male oscars when
>mature form a lump on their heads, distinguishing them from females.
Is
>this true?  How easy is it to breed oscars?  If anybody has any advice
>please tell me.  Thank you.
>
>cj

This is about as far from dwarf cichlids as you can get.  Anyway--I got
interested in breeding oscars a few years ago (but I lost interest
before I did) and tried to sex some.  It's extremely difficult--the hump
on the head doesn't show unless the fish are pretty old.  In some
species of cichlids, the hump indicates dominance and not necessarily
male vs. female.  You might read Loiselle's cichlid book and learn how
to turn the fish over and "vent" (determine sex by looking at the shape
of the vent) the fish.  I connected to compuserve and located all the
articles I can find on breeding Oscars.  There seemed to be one
commonality for all the breeding articles.  The water temperature was at
85 degrees fahrenheit.  You might try increasing the daylight time to
something like 14 hours a day also (works on angels).  Water changes
seem to stimulate spawning in just about all cichlids.