Re: A. nijsenni (and buying fish)

> > Try adding some iron to the tank. When Ap. nijsseni first was imported,
> > the iron adding to produce the red in the ring was widely discussed.
> > I've always added some iron to my tanks (for the plants mainly) and
> > the Ap. nijsseni seem to benefit nicely. Mine (captive bred in Denmark)
> > have very nice red rings.
> >
> > Diet should also be important. Lots of shrimp/beta-karotene should provoke
> > some red colour (just look at what's in the Tetra Rubin and similar
products).

> or a pot of color..., but seriously that are good ideas, and surely
successful,
> but is it really necessary to add some stuff for having nice and colorful
> fishes?  I dont like it when I have to repaint my apistos every week.
>
> Expecting your hard debate
>
> Wilfred

No need for a hard debate. It's useful if you want to bring out the
colour of your fish (colour that they naturally have, no selective
breeding  here...). I personally want to keep things as natural as
possible, add stuff to the tank that are supposedly there in natural
conditions, no more. It's a very fine line between getting the colours
out and enhancing them to an unnatural degree, I hope most serious
hobbyists stay on the natural side.

As for buying pairs I am in total agreement with you. I'd much rather
buy a group of juveniles than a pair of adults. Unfortunately, over
here at least, apistos are few and far between so a pair may be all
one gets.

Fredrik

- --
Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se
Saab Ab
Flutter and Loads Department
voice +46 13 18 54 60, fax +46 13 18 33 63