Re: Mutant Aggie Spawn

Doug wrote:

<< I have a 10G tank ready to go (Goldy gets a large bowl for a few weeks, and
> the temperature goes up), but what should I plan for here?
> 1) Move the male now so he doesn't eat the fry?
> 2) Move some cories and/or tetras with him?
> 3) Wait until I can actually catch the fry and move just them?
> 4) Try and move just one female w/fry?
> 5) Try and move all females w/fry?
> 6) Something else?
> 7) Nothing?
>
> This suddenly seems so confusing.

Moving the females with the fry all but guarantees losing the fry, as the
females will not take this well.
The best guarantee is to hatch them artificially by moving the EGGS into a
bare 10 with just a sponge filter and heater, methylene blue as per the
instructions on the bottle, and airstones with just barely any air at all to
prvide movement across the eggs.
The best natural approach is to remove the male, as a tank that size will
leave him no way to escape the territories of three females.  The other fish
might be best removed as well.
When the fry are free-swimming, they will be big enough to eat live fresh-
hatched brine shrimp.  The females will be willing to exchange fry, and also
possible one female minght adopt the other two spawns.
The confusion is best eliminated by experience.  Personally, I'd like to know
what you'll have after 2-3 generations, as it is sports like this that have
led to today's fancy angels and bettas.

I guess, though, that it's your call.

Bob Dixon