Re: Pelv. taeniatus bandewouri vs. wouri

Steven J. Waldron wrote:

> Hi all,
> Recently came across some P."bandewouri" at LFS here in S.F. Curious to
> know if this fish is similiar to wouri in more than a collecting locale
> suffix. The store's "bandewouri" look very typical for a taeniatus, not
> unlike other morphs (e.g. Nigerian)- the wouri from Linke and Staeck seems
> like a very distinct animal. Does anyone have any experience with these to
> offer?
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve,

Sorry for the following "lecture" but I really get enthusiastic about
these fish!

Bandewouri is a locality from the southern part of taeniatus' range. The
forms from Kienke, Nyong, Loukundje, and Dehane (even the Lobe and Grand
Batanga) are all similar forms. The southern forms are considered the
"true" kribensis.
Wouri is a fish from further north closer to where the Moliwe, Muyuka
and Funge forms are found. It is a fish that is very different in
appearance from the southern forms (at least as different as they can
be).  The fish that I've had and spawned (not so successfully) were
truly spectacular.  The males have the dark upper edging to the caudal
and no dark ocelli as do most of the others (except lobe and grand
batanga) just like the photo!!

The Nigerian forms are another population group. Recently, a form from
the Cross River region has appeared and this is getting close to the
eastern limits of the Nigerian forms.  Who knows what occurs between
there and the region in which Moliwe, etc. are found?

One thing though, are the wouri that have been mentioned recently, that
I've just ordered really bandewouri??  ---- They ain't the same
fish!!
												Steve