Fwd: Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis

Steve wrote:
>highly recommend this import. I still am thinking about some of
Justin's
>fish displays, he maintains a large number of Apistos in one tank
(30gal)
>and are really striking (20+adult male bitaeniata in one tank). I have
>always kept one pair/trio per tank, though Justin seems to do well with
>very high fish densities. Hmmmm...
>- Steve Waldron

Steve--Thanks for the info on the T-bars--I've been looking for these
for a long time.

In keeping territorial cichlids, you can use two strategies,  underload
the tank so there is plenty of room for each one or pair to establish
territory, or crowd them to the point where either none, or the most
aggressive, can hold territory.  In the second scenario, the aggression
of the dominant fish will be dispersed over the group, and none of the
members of the groups are likely to sustain any significant damage.

BTW--If you lift up the hinged plywood that hides the top of the tank at
Justin's place, you will see a lot of philodendrum growing in some kind
of medium with its roots sticking into the tanks.  An interesting way to
help keep up the water quality that I have read about, but have yet to
try.