Kribs and BAP -Reply

>>> Erik Olson <eriko@wrq.com> 02/17/98 09:09am >>>

You know what's really cool, though... for every experienced breeder who's
decided that Kribs are too easy (and that keeping five tanks of Krib fry
of varying sizes which the stores MIGHT give $1 per fish if the sex ratio
is balanced... at least here in Seattle)... for every experienced breeder
getting out of Kribs, there are three enthusiastic new aquarists who are
getting into it.  My sister-in-law called a few weeks ago, just floored
that their pair bred.  One of my co-workers is producing grand-kids off my
original pair.  So's one of my friends in the club.  If you scan down the
national BAP species stats, you'll always see a big spike under P. pulcher
(two report, three reports, one report, 87 reports, one report....).

As for me, I'm still sentimental about my 4 1/2 year-old Krib, the first
fish that bred for me, and he has his own 45 gallon planted tank at work.

Now I will admit, at first I did try and talk Erik into sending that Krib =
onto a fellow aq. society member when it came back to it, we just couldn't =
do it.=20
I have seen more people initiated into the hobby with Kribs.

The sister in law above....my sister...that was/is  my 5 y.o. nephews =
first fish.  I will not forget how excited they were when they first =
spawned (and me for that matter).  The live on 600 acre Dairy, a good 2-3 =
hour drive from civilization, and who knows what kind of well water but =
they did it.  Now my two other nieces have tanks as well and are even =
raising softer water fishes. =20

As for me,  I just can't seem to get rid of my Steindachneri, we have fry =
swimming out of are ears, but they are just too cool, even if they are so =
common.  Sometimes I struggle with, oh with that extra tank space I could =
try a new apisto I have been drooling over (ie regani), but haven't been =
able to let go of those old guys yet.

Kathy