Re: wild-caught fish -Reply

Darren writes:

<Snip>  For what it's worth, I couldn't find ANY dwarf cichlids on the listing
of
> Appendix I and Appendix II species I found on-line this morning. So as far
> as "endangered Apistogramma species" goes, it doesn't look like there
> are any currently recognized as being seriously threatened. >>

Citing Lake Victoria as an example, it only takes one stupid idea to extinct a
wpecies, or even the majority of an entire ecosystem.  Why not let's try
getting something started while the fish are readily accessible?

Someone want to volunteer to receive email lists of who has what?  Seems to me
to be a good place to start.  Should we start with Apistogramma, or get bold
and go for the whole enchilada of that we have Arbitrarily tagged as "Dwarf
Cichlids?

If someone has a list of all currently valid species of any Genus containing
dwarves (boy, am I asking for it!!!), except Apistogrammoides, I think I can
handle that one, send it my way.  I'll paste it into a file in my word
processor and see where it takes me.  In a few weeks we should have a pretty
good list.  From there we can pick some of the less commonly collected
species, and drawing from the examples of other groups efforts, develop a
program.  I realize this may not be as fast as a live conference, but it is
faster than snailmail, and at least it is a start.

Bob Dixon