Re: BAP 'N Dump

I am a little confused about what we are trying to do here. On one side w=
seem concerned about endangered Apistos and establishing a code system to=

preserve genetic integrity. On the other side we are talking about breedi=
ng
species, getting BAP points and then dumping the fish. In my opinion
breeders should not be given BAP points (ok, maybe a couple) until they
have bred the species through at least 2 generations. =

For experienced hobbyists, telling the species apart is easy but, for the=

untrained eye a female A. nijsseni might not be any different than a fema=
le
A. panduro.  I have seen plenty of stores carrying males of one species a=
nd
females on another and selling them as pairs without even knowing
themselves. Now, what happens if an unsuspecting hobbyist gets a hold of =
male A. panduro and a female A. nijsseni ?  What happens if he/she is
successful in breeding them and turns them in for BAP points ? =

If the unsuspecting hobbyist would have tried to breed them to at least t=
he
F2s, he/she would have realized that the F1s were unfertile and most like=
ly
hybrids. =

Another reason why BAP points should not be given until successfully
breeding the F1s is that many club members get a pair of breeders from
other members, breed them, and turn them in for points. I don't see any
challenge and minimal learning in breeding a pair of breeders. By giving
points only after breeding the F1s we are making sure that there is a
serious effort in successfully breeding a species.  =

My 2 cents,

Julio Melgar