Re: BAP 'N Dump

Julio wrote:
On the other side we are talking about breeding
>species, getting BAP points and then dumping the fish. In my opinion
>breeders should not be given BAP points (ok, maybe a couple) until they
>have bred the species through at least 2 generations.

I agree, though I think it would be much easier to keep BAP programs as
they are and add an additional award for breeders committed to captive
species preservation. Maintaining a certain fish for a number of years and
distributing fry to the hobby ought to be valued as much as spawning some
"flash in the breeder flat" for a short time. Longevity and stability with
regards to fish breeding is something that few hobbyists possess. Those
that do should be commended for their efforts, without them fish strains
dwindle and again we are scrambling for the next import from Manaus,
Frankfurt, etc. I once had a particularly nice strain of Apisto.
macmasteri, bred them for 6 years and passed on a number of fry. I'd like
to get that strain again as I'm sure many would appreciate them, but where
are they? Gone it seems as soon as I stopped keeping them. I think it is
wise to devote space in one's fish room for those novelties that fuel the
BAP and a few tanks for those fish you plan on keeping for the long haul.
Regards
- - Steve Waldron

Steven J. Waldron                       phone/fax: (415) 386-7377
2550 Balboa St. #2                      email: swaldron@slip.net
San Francisco, CA, 94121 USA

"Well I woke up in the morning
There's frogs inside my socks"   - Bob Dylan, On the Road Again