Fwd: Re: BAP 'N Dump -Reply -Reply

Bill wrote:
>Well, at least your honest about your opinions <s>.

Doug:
>>>What is the point of preserving our little slice of time?<<

Bill:
>Partly (mostly) selfish, I suppose.  If all one's interested in are the
fish
>available from the large fish farms, then there is little reason for
>concerned.  If their natural location is wiped out, one can always buy
>Kribs from a fish farm, as long as it's commercially profitable for
them to
>maintain the species.
>
>However, if you like to keep fish, or at least have them available in
the
>future, that are not profitable, then it should concern you.
>Apistos are not quite in the same situation...yet.  But it's not
inconceivable
>that it could head that way.  Look at the threads on Rams.  The fish
farm
>products are fine for a display tank but it's often difficult to find a
female
>or to successfully breed them when you do.  Left unchecked, even the
>fish farms may not be able to maintain the species without an
occasional
>introduction from the wild caught gene pool if the Rams natural habitat
is
>destroyed.  >I don't think it's realistic to expect re-introduction
into the wild.  So to that
>extent, I agree, the attempt is doomed.  But to preserve a species for
the
>hobby, so that yourself and others may learn and enjoy from them in the
>future is a realistic expectation.  And worthwhile.
>
>Bill Vannerson

We're kind of caught in the middle from the earlier post from someone
who tried to make us feel guilty about collecting wild fish because of
what it may do the environment and a person who says all these fish are
doomed anyway so why try?  Was it Rick Nelson who sang something like "I
can't please everybody, so I'm going to please myself."  So, are the
conservationists going to prevail, or is the earth doomed?