Re: Incomplete tank divider method

>I would say that a ten gallon tank (with plented of hiding
>places) is easily big enough for a pair of Apistos and you
>don't need to segregate them . If you find you need to
>remove the male after spawning then just remove him.  I
>have never suffered the loss of an  Apisto due to
>male/female aggression, has anyone?
>
>regards,
>Ken.

Not directly (i.e. ouright ichthyicide), but stress from constant chasing,
torn fins, etc. I have lost plenty of eggs and fry from unhappy cichlid
pairings. Also, the tendency for a male to turn very aggressive towards a
female if the eggs/fry do not develop.  Perhaps a ten may be sufficient,
but my past positive experiences has been with 20 gallon long(minimum).
Depends on the fish though, my Apistogrammoides would seem comfortably
housed 1 pair/5 gallon. After reading David Soares homepages, I'm
interested in the possibilities of stocking high fish densities, he
mentioned keeping 120 jurensis in a 20 gal tank! A bit over the top
IMHO....
- - Steve