Re: Flowerpots as caves.

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Peter Stegenborg Larsen wrote:

> I am going get a couple of dwarf cichlids, and I was wondering how
> flowerpots is used as caves.
>
> Do I turn it up side down, and break a little of the rim, so the
> cichlids can enter?
>
> Which size and type (material) of pot is the bedst?
>
> Is it better to find rocks, and build the caves myself? And if so, do I
> have to glue them together with silicone?

I use pots about 2-2 1/2" in diameter made of clay. They get a little
slippery feeling after they have been in the water for a while. I've tried
them all different ways, but mostly I just lay them on their sides facing
toward the front of the tank so I can see what's going on. Many species
lay their eggs inside the pots on the top or the sides. Others lay their
eggs on the sides or top of the pots. A few tunnel under one side of the
pot and create a little cave there, laying their eggs on the pot which
makes up the "roof" of their cave.

There is absolutely no need to glue rocks together if you stack them
carefully. Given a choice between rocks and pots, most of my dwarf
cichlids have picked the pots. But some pick the rocks, and some even
decide to spawn on the glass in a hidden spot such as behind a filter. I
find they aren't too picky if they are ready to spawn.

Don

Donald Nute
Professor and Head, Department of Philosophy        (706) 542-2823
Director, Artificial Intelligence Center            (706) 542-0358
The University of Georgia                       FAX (706) 542-2839
Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A             http://ai.uga.edu/~dnute